Excursions

Pod 3 have spent two days at Earth Ed. We were very lucky and got to try two experiements- one related to static electricty and one related to electricty. On the second day we got to go to the Waubra Windfarm and go INSIDE a wind turbine!! Read below for our experiences….

20 thoughts on “Excursions

1. Today we went to the Earth Ed Centre. Then we did a wind experiment with little wind turbines. And we had to adjust the blades to see if we produced more energy if we procuced enough energy a little light would come on.

We got on a bus and went to the Waubra wind farm.

The wind turbine has 3 parts.There is a tower and a motor housing, that is the same size as a caravan. The third part is the blades. The blades could fit on the MCG.

We got to go inside the turbine and the door was like a submarines door. I looked at the elevator, it could fit 2 people in it. I looked up the elevator shaft and I saw platforms and the motor housing. We got told it takes 3 minutes to get to the top.

I got a picture with the wind tubine.

By bowdyn

2. Yesterday I went to the Earth Ed centre.

There was a Van der Graf ball. When people touched it, it made their hair stand up, because of static electricity.

Today we went to the Waubra wind farm. I saw inside the tower, theres an eleveator in there.When we looked inside it it lookded freaky. Chris from the wind farm got on the bus and talked to us about the farm. Then we went to the control centre it had information about the turbine.

by Annabelle

3. Today some of the pod 3 students went to Earth Ed to learn about science. Some of the things I learnt was that when a lighting rod is on a building or a house and there is a storm the lighting rod stops a bit of the lighting. I also learnt that there is static electricity and static electricity is not dangerous There is also a static ball called a van der graf and when you put your hand on it and it is turned on it makes your hair goes up and when you are on the ground your hair goes done it was fun doing the van der graf. After we learnt lots about electricity in room 02 we then moved on to room 03 that was about circurts and we had like side switches and push buttons and we alsoo had leads that went with them as well and what we had to do was we had to put the leads together to the light bulb and the side switches to make then light bulb glow there also was one challenge that we had two light bulbs and we had to make one work and the other isn’t meant to work. I learnt lots about electricity and i learnt lots about the circurts and how you connect them and make the light bulb work and i how never done that before. The staff at Earth-Ed are very friendly and they are very nice. It was so awesome and fun I liked it at Earth-Ed.

By Ally

4. Today pod 3 went to earth ed to learn about electricity. I learned about alternate clean sources of energy and about circuit diagrams. i was charged by a van der graf in an activity and i did numerous challenges with making a circuit.

By Max

5. Today Pod 3 went to Earth Ed to learn about electricity. I learned there were heaps of ways to make electricity, like windmills under the ocean and wind turbines in Waubra. I learnt that the green house effect is good in moderation. I also learnt how to connect wires to make a circuit. You need wire, batteries, a switch and a light globe to make it work.

By Nick

6. Today I had fun going with the earth ed people to a big wind turbine. I learnt that a wind turbine is 80 m high and if you took the blades off it would be as long as a football oval.

We looked at the topic of electricity. Some key words I learnt: electrons, statics, circuits and insulators.

by Luke.H

7. Today Pod3 went to earth-ed.We learnt about the wind turbines,wind turbines are like big fans that generate power for our houses and other buildings.One turbine is worth 4,000000 dollars and provides 750 homes with electricty, also it is 80 meters high.

By Chloe

8. Yesterday most of pod3 went to Earth-Ed. We learnt about electricity and what it does, we also learnt about static electricity it is not dangerous. We also learnt about a van der graf it is a silver ball and when you put your hands on the van der graf and when it is turned on it make your hair stick up but when you stand on the ground your hair goes down straight away. Then we went to room 03 and that it is when we made circuits and we had a light bulb and side switches and more. When we were also doing the circuits we had a positive and a negative on the leads. We had to make the side switches work and we had leads and we had to try and make the light bulb work. It was very fun, the staff at Earth-Ed are very friendly and they are very helpful. I had so much fun at Earth-Ed I would wish to go there again

9. On Thursday and Friday pod 3 went to Earth Ed and learned about electricity. First we split into two groups one half learned about static electricity and the other went to do circuit. In the electricity group we used a Vander graf. It shows us how we use electric and how they use to use it in the past. I have also learnt that when you stand on a plastic box or bucket and touch the Vander Graf your hair sticks up but when you get of the the box your hair goes down straight away. We did a human chain and had to touch each other and had to touch something melted but only do one step quickly and reach for it. On the other group we had to hold hands and had to hold a little ball that beeps when everyone was holding hands. Then we had to make circuits we had a side switch, light bulbs and more, we also had leads that had positive and negative on them.

By Fadia

10. Today we went to the wind farm and we went next to a wind turbines and then we got to go inside one of the wind turbines. It takes up to about 3 mins to get up to the top of the wind turbines. After all of us went in the wind turbines. The turbines are about 80 meters high and the wind turbines power up to 750 homes each.

By Eva

11. Today pod 3 went to Waubra to learn about the wind turbines.The wind turbines generate power for over 750 houses.They are 80 meters high and the blades are 45 meters long. When Chris let us inside the turbine I learnt that the workmen take the elevator to get to the top. It takes them 3 minutes.

By Kayla

12. Today we went for a trip to earth-ed to learn about science and electrical wires. It was really fun trying to connect circuits to different plug and try to get led lights to turn on. In the other group there was a van der graf that sends negative energy to your body and your hair would go up in the air. Today we also learnt about the wind turbines.

By Aaron

13. Today Pod3 went to earth ed. We learnt about the wind turbines that generate electricity for over 750 houses.They are 80 meters high and also is worth 4,000000 dollars each.It takes 3 minutes to get up the wind terbine by the elevator. By Krystal

14. Today I learnt that if you touch the VANDER GRAAF and your standing on the ground your hair will not stick up and if ur standing on a plastic bucket ur hair will rise up and stay up untill you stand back on the ground again. I learnt that when someone is touching the Vander Graaf and standing on a plastic bucket someone can touch you and get shocked.

Today I learnt how to put all different wires together to make 2 light globes work and we made all these hard ones there was a Challenge 1 And Challenge 2 And Challenge 3 And a Challenge 4 and a Super Challenge.

By Cory

15. Today I learnt at Earth Ed that static electricity is when two metals touch each other and it makes static electricity. Then a couple of boys and girls put there hand on the metal dome and some of there hair was sticking up it was funny. Then we went for some lunch then we went to the renewable energy session.

BY HARRY

16. Today pod3 went to earth ed. First we broke up into two groups of fifteen ,one group went to learn about static electricity while the other learnt about circuits . I went in the circuit group. We sat down and got told about what electricity goes through and what it doesn’t. We did different challenges and had a great time.

After lunch and a little break we swapped groups.

I learnt about static electricity and did more great activity’s

17. Today I learnt about wires and electricity. It was fun because we got to fidle with wires. Harmony, Eliza and I eventually got it but there were harder challages. After we finished the first group we had lunch and had about 15 or 20 minuts of play. Then we went onto the second group.

From Chanelle

18. I had fun at Earth Ed. The first thing we did was the battery switch and light globe. You turned the switch off and on and it lit the globe.

Then we had recess. After recess I went into a room that had a bike in there, it had 5 lights and a speaker and a Van der Graf ball. You had to pedal the bike to create electricity. It lit the 5 lights up and then there was a siren noise out of the speaker, and then a tennis ball went up to the top of a tube.

I had fun on the excursion.

By Kayne

19. Today i learnt that if u touch the VANDER GRAAF and ur standing on the ground ur hair will not Go up and if ur standing on a plastic bucket ur hair will rise up and stay up untill you Stand back on the ground again and i learnt that when someone is touching the vander graaf And standing on a plastic bucket someone can touch you and get Shocked.

Today i learnt how to put All different wires together to make 2 light globes work and we made all these hard ones there was a Challenge 1 And Challenge 2 And Challenge 3 And a Challenge 4 and a Super Challenge.

By Cory

20. Today most of the pod 3 students went to earth-ed to learn about science. Firstly we went to room 01 and then we split into two groups, they had 15 people each but chloe was late so the it made sixteen in my group. Our teacher was called matt he new lots of things about electricity and lots more. after we were all settled we learnt how to connect wires to makes tiny lights work it was really confusing, we then did a super challenge it was to connect 2 lights to the one battery it was tricky.

After we had lunch and had a bit of a play we went into room 2 and we got to play with the van der graf it is a kind of lightning ball that makes your hair stick up it is made up of static and electrons they are negative it was so cool. Next we talked about how to help global warming I learnt that the greenhouse gases will cause the earth to warm up and then there will be no world for us to live in anymore. Last of all we got to ride on a bike that didnt move and it was so we new how hard it is to generate power and i nearly did it. at about 2:00 we left to go back to school on the bendy bus.

By Delaine